Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Who Loves CrossFit???? This GUY!!

So I started this blog to talk all things Crossfit, from what WODs I’m doing, to what’s going down in Games season and basically anything and everything that pops into my mind that’s even remotely related to Crossfit (like…is Rich really that good?). Now make no mistake about it, I’m not a professional writer or elite level Crossfitter. As a matter a fact, I’m pretty mediocre at both but they’re both things that enjoy. That may not be the best endorsement for what you’re about to read but hey if you don’t like it, I’ll gladly refund your money.

Now that I spoke so highly of my skills, let me tell you a bit more about myself. I’m 33, happily married and a proud father of three (two girls and a boy sandwiched in between them). I’ve been Crossfitting for almost three years with about half of that time split between the gym I love (Crossfit EST) and trying WOD at home or more recently a globo gym. Time and money have forced me to resort to “globo-WODing” but that’s still better than nothing for now. So my introduction into CF all started on the way home from Chicken Express (didn’t expect to see that on a CF blog did you??). I took the normal way home and noticed a new bright sign on what used to be a vacant warehouse. I recognized the name “Crossfit” and was vaguely familiar with this ‘crazy workout stuff’ but really had very little idea what it was all about. As luck would have it, I was just coming off failed attempts to get back in shape, first just going to a globo gym and then trying my hand at the Insanity DVD series. I was at my heaviest weight ever (5’9 260lbs), discouraged and ready to try absolutely anything to break the spiral that I was in. As soon as I got home I googled this new Crossfit box, called the number and found out that they had just opened and that every Saturday they had a free WOD that anyone could attend. The following Saturday I walked through the doors and attempted my very first CF WOD. I say attempted because it was absolutely terrible and I remember it to this day. As luck would have it, Helen was on the menu that morning and she destroyed me. I barely completed the first run without walking (we won’t even talk about the remaining rounds) and of course I struggled mightily with even banded pullups. I finally completed the miserable experience, although I think it took a sun dial to track my time, but I was instantly hooked. I signed up before I left and showed back up the following Monday, still relatively sore from the two days prior.

I wish I could tell you that every day since Helen ate my lunch I’ve improved, gotten bigger, faster and stronger but that would be huge lie. I excel at “imperfect progress,” that is I take two steps forward and then one step back (or sometimes, one forward and two back or three back). I’d like to blame my lack of “elite-ism” on a busy and chaotic life that’s included two kids since I started CF (for a total of three with my beautiful wife), two job changes and one move, but it’s more just a lack of consistency on my part. I also tend to avoid my weaknesses (don’t tell HQ?!?!) and not exactly stick to the paleo lifestyle (I eat like Neal Maddox, so sue me). In the end though, I’m not a Crossfitter because I have dreams of unseating Rich Froning or standing on the big stage in Carson. I Crossfit because I enjoy it. I enjoy WODing, I enjoy reading about CF, I enjoy talking about CF and I guess now I can say I enjoy writing about CF. If you enjoy all these things as well, you’re in the right spot. Welcome and with all that out of the way…..3, 2, 1…GO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment