Thursday, March 6, 2014

Crossfit Games 14.2 Continues to Take the Open in a Different Direction

Dave Castro and Crossfit HQ unveiled the Open WOD 14.2 tonight live from Miami, Florida at I am Crossfit and the live throw down between Talayna Fortunato and Camille Leblac-Bazinet didn't disappoint. I was wrong about the WOD, the movements and the winner of the throw down but, two weeks into the Open, one thing is becoming very apparent; the Crossfit Open isn't for everyone anymore. I wrote leading into the Open that it had two goals, to get the fittest to Regionals and to also be inclusive so that athletes from all different ability levels could participate. Through the first two weeks though, I think the second goal no longer exists.

First let's talk about the workout, it's an overhead squat and chest to bar pull-up ladder where you have 3 minutes to complete two rounds of 10 OHS at 95/65 pounds and 10 C2B pull-ups. If and when you complete that, you have another three minutes to complete another two rounds of 12 of each and so on until can't complete them within the 3 minutes. It's a brutal combination and although the weight is relatively light, both the OHS and the C2B pull-up are a step above basic movements.


While an athlete of my stature generally approaches every WOD with the only goal being survival, I do think I'll try to mimick Talayna's plan. She said afterwards that she wanted to do the OHS unbroken, then break up the C2B as needed. That will be my plan as well, for as long as I can manage. OHS are certainly not a strength of mine and anytime I'm gasping for breath, which will certainly happen after some C2B pull-ups, they are particularly awful.
As to my feelings about the general programming of the first two weeks, kicking off the Open with double unders was a sign that we all should have taken seriously because Castro and HQ certainly didn't tap the brakes with 14.2. In fact Castro even said right after the throwdown that they want to turn it up and make 14.2 more difficult than 14.1 because they felt like anyone could so 14.1
.
While I don't think this is a bad WOD, I do think it, much like 14.1, it excludes a significant portion of the CF community. Taken by itself, I would have had even less of a issue with this but when paired with 14.1, and coming as the first two WODs, I think they isolated a large portion of their 200K population. Like I said last week, if that is direction that HQ wants to go with the Open next year, that's 100% ok with me. I fully support and understand that stance, if that's the direction that they choose to take the Open. Most competitions you sign up for have RX standards that they want their competitors to meet anyways. My hope though is that next year they don't have such a huge campaign to get anyone and everyone to sign up and participate because it's not about participation anymore. This is a competition to find the elite, and if you're not among those then save your $20. I know I will.


6 comments:

  1. Exactly how I feel, especially your last paragraph. I'm interested in how it plays out though. Maybe it turns out to be the kick in the pants some people (me) need, and they ratchet it down a bit in 14.3 to revitalize confidence. Or maybe it turns everyone off and they see dramatically less sign ups next year. Either way, we're going to give it everything we have because that's what we do. We'll see how it looks when the dust settles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I'm fascinated to see what the next three WODs contain. Will they continue to skew towards the advanced/elite or will we see more traditional Open WODs? Either way we'll be talking about it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Previous Open WODs are online and that is how I based my decision to start doing the Open in 2012. Cause I knew I wasn't ready in 2011 (I did the WODs but knew I couldn't do most of the movements/weights Rx so I didn't register). Never done 100 lb snatch but I still tried. My best Karen time was 16 min but I pushed and got a PR. Never done C2B pull-ups but I tried (and almost got through the 4th round in 12.5).

    I think the disconnect is the push by coaches for even the most novice members to sign up before 14.1 was announced. So many new affiliates and less experienced trainers who didn't understand the standards would be relative to established benchmarks (not divided into fitness/experience levels like the Teen Gauntlet). Again, not any movement or weight that isn't part of the CF universe. I don't blame HQ/Dave Castro. He is running a competition to find the fittest on earth, not a local gym that wants the workout to include everyone in the CF world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, having a competition to find the fittest is completely fine if that's the goal, they just need to stop pushing the inclusive route as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Its 3 minutes to complete 2 rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for catching that, corrected now.

      Delete